The FBI designated Chicago as 1 of the 13 locations of “High Intensity Child Prostitution.” This high rate is because human trafficking does not just happen in the obvious places. In Cook County, places such as massage parlors and strip clubs often service as a front for trafficking and involves victims of the sex trade. To learn more information about human trafficking, where it happens, who it effects, and other organizations fighting to prevent it in Chicago and beyond, look through the links below.
- “Hundreds of girls and young women are trafficked and held captive as sex slaves in Chicago, while teenage girls are routinely “pimped” and exploited on Chicago streets.”
- “There are more slaves in the world today than were extracted from Africa during 400 years of the trans-atlantic slave trade.” – Gary Haugen
- Local Organizations and Referrals
- Identifying Victims of Trafficking: Red Flags
- “For gangs, human trafficking ends up being more lucrative than the trafficking of drugs or guns, and safer—for the criminals.”
- “Many people believe that sex trafficking is something that only happens in other places, or to people from other countries. In fact, many trafficking victims are born, raised and trafficked right here in Illinois.”
- “Chicago is one of the leading cities in this global epidemic.”
- Research and Reports
The more you know, the more you see how important it is to join the fight against human trafficking today.